Sunday 7 December 2014

News

I remember how I felt when I watched the news clips on 29th Sept.

That was one of the most heart breaking moments in my life. Back then, the Umbrella Movement just started, people did not expect any authorities to be this violent. 

I always support my sister to take part in this important movement, but how could I support my beloved to go to the battlefield and to be threatened by unreasonably cruel authorities? I felt so remote and powerless, all I did was sitting in front of the computer and crying. I was not helping at all. For some moment, I have considered to return to my hometown, but I was too selfish, I have my own goal to accomplished during my semester aboard, I did not give that up for the sake of my hometown. 

Instead, I paid a lot of attention to the news. Just like the Journalism courses I have taken mentioned, different angles of reporting give different stories, even though factual information is shown. I guess it'd be much more cheerful if I only watched TVB's, news, but sometimes, most of the time actually, the ugly truth has to be revealed, so we could do things to remedy the deteriorating situation. And this is one of the main functions of news, to change something, to stop the worsening thing, not just simply to acknowledge.

I was so touched by every friend who asked about situation in my Hong Kong, and of course, explained to them. I might not have done enough for ourselves, but now I am back to my hometown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment